Saturday, September 25, 2010

Revisit of the Orange-Coriander Witty Monk

A couple of weeks ago I discovered an old bottle of the orange peel-coriander witty monk (mr. beer) that I brewed back in March that I had left over at my in-laws.  I was attempting to recreate my everyday fav Blue Moon.  Back in April I dove into this batch of brew during a birthday party for the wife where most of it was wiped out.  Back then, when it was fresh off a 2 week brew and 3 week bottle conditioning, it was highly carbonated creating an overwhelming head and the taste was strongly yeasty. Overall, I wasn't that pleased with it at the time.

After my work was done out in the yard today, I decided to pop the bottle open and see how well (or how poorly) this brew had aged.  I was pleasantly suprised by my findings.  The carbonation had mellowed substantially to a light effervescence creating a slow dying head. The taste had improved dramatically with the yeastiness subsided, allowing for the orange and the coriander (although slightly) to come through to create a more balanced taste.  The color had also changed to more of a golden brown reminiscent of an unfiltered spiced apple cider.  It was very pleasing just to look at.  This nice little discovery definitely has taught me to be more patient with my brews and allow them to age more in the bottle to let the still living yeast do its full work and let the flavors settle.



Photobucket
Orange-Coriander Witty Monk

No comments:

Post a Comment