Friday, April 15, 2011

Revisit of the Dutch Apple Ale

After another Friday of working out in the yard I decided to pop open this last bottle of Dutch Apple Ale that I originally bottled at the end of November. I have now come to the realization that time is a good thing for these beers and that I shouldn't be rushing to drink them right after the end of the recommended conditioning period. The mix used a can of the Mr. Beer Englishman's Nut Brown Ale along with some apple juice and I upped the spice quotient a bit since I figured Mr. Beer took the conservative route.

There was much less carbonation now, but still a nice little fizz that gave it a light head and helped round out the rich, thick mouthfeel of the beer. The smell was stong with the cinnamon and nutmeg spices added to the beer, but unfortunately the spice was still faint in the taste of the beer. Still though, the beer had a nice caramely, roasty sweetness with just a slight yeasty taste that made it easy to drink on a warm day. Now, let's see how long I can keep my hands off that kolsch.

Photobucket
Here it is next to a leftover turkey and chickpea burger from dinner the other night that I made. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment