Friday, April 1, 2011

Brewing Update

It certainly has been a while since I’ve updated the blog. Things have certainly been busy with the wife and I. That still hasn’t kept me from doing what I do though, which is drink and make beer.

First off, I wish I didn’t have to address the raspberry dunkel, but I feel I must if for no other reason than to remind myself of the lesson learned. I drank a test bottle of the raspberry dunkel on Thanksgiving weekend and that bottle (maybe even the whole batch) must have been tainted with some bacteria since I spent the good part of the following night and next day bringing it back up and unable to eat anything. Lesson learned though, sanitation procedures are followed extremely closely now. Too bad though, since from what I remember it had a nice roasty sweet taste.

Fortunately, I already had a batch of spiced apple ale conditioning for the annual Brady Christmas Party. This meant I was forced to not be dissuaded from the raspberry dunkel experience and jump back into trusting myself to brew beer. I made sure to test the results before releasing it upon the masses. The results were pleasant although the spice (cinnamon and nutmeg) was not as prevalent as I had hoped. Again this young beer was quite yeasty and carbonated when first opened in mid December. I have one left in the fridge that I am allowing to age a bit more to see how if it rounds out a bit.

It took me a little while after that to decide on what to brew next and I decided to keep it simple to develop a nice base set of recipes to work off of. First I brewed an abbey style Belgian ale and next a Kolsch style beer that I’m hoping will be good for the soon to be summer weather. The abbey style Belgian is suggested to condition for 6 months, so we’ll see if I have the patience before I open a test bottle on that one.

During my blogging hiatus, with some constructive criticism from the wife on my previously handwritten beer labels on “Hello My Name Is” tags, I developed a simple beer label format. Hopefully this will make them a little more attractive to drink as well as reflect some of my creativity and playfulness.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment